On Sunday 30 Jun 2002 8:35 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:31:55 +0900, Pascal Goguey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > You will notice the benefit to separate /home /opt and /etc directories
> > > when
> > > you upgrade to Mandrake 9.0.
> >
> > Yes, the advantage of having /home, /opt, and /etc _DIRECTORIES_,
> > as you write yourself, no doubt about that. But is there any benefit
> > of having these on different _PARTITIONS_?
>
> You can't separate /etc because it contains important information that is
> needed at boot (i.e. /etc/fstab). It needs to be part of the / partition.

SNIP

True.... I should not have used /etc as an example. I only mentioned it
because it contains important configuration settings that get lost if you do
an Install and so require you to try to remember how you set it all up last
time. Backing up /etc and then selectively restoring the required config
files is a better idea.

derek