From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of vangala sarma
Sent: Monday, 1 July 2002 3:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] startx problem...

Hi,

I am newbie to this mailing list. I have linux mandrake 8.1 installed on my home system. the system hanged when I tried to shut it down the last time and I had to restart it. Since then, I am unable to boot the system in graphics mode. If I say startx at the root I get the following error messages.

Xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

Xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

Xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

Xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

Fatal server error

cannot read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

giving up

xinit : no such file or directory(errno 2) : unable to connect to Xserver

xinit: No such process (errno 3) : server error

xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

I tried XFdrake also but could not make out anything from it. I got the error message Can't open lock file /tmp/.X9-lock.

please help me. I absolutely have no idea what to do. I checked up if there is a file called .X0-lock, but there was nothing like that in the tmp directory of the root as well as the users.

I need to get back to the graphics mode as my research is completely using that option. Please help .....

Thanks in advance,

Sarma Vangala

Do You Yahoo!?