On Monday 01 Jul 2002 2:49 pm, vangala sarma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply. But nothing seems to work. I tried the changes
> told to me but in vain. I checked if I was in init 3 ,  tried removing the
> lock file, renaming the xauthority file and  I even tried something given
> on the web
>
> depmod -a
>
> at the root.
>
> But nothing seems to work. Please help me, I am in desperate stage now. Do
> I have to reinstall, because, I am in no state now to lose all my past data
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarma

Sarma  Your problems began when you did a hard power down after your system
locked during shutdown. Right?

In that case you may have a filesystem corruption.
If you boot from your boot floppy (You did make one didn't you?) you can then
repair any file system corruption as described here
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/81/en/ref.html/ts-boot-freezes.html#AEN4642
(I assume you are using ext2. If you are using another filesystem then there
are other tools)

If your files cannot be recovered then all is not lost. You can recover your
system by going through the install procedure from CD, but DO NOT format your
partitions, and do not select any packages for installation.  Linux will then
be reinstalled but your data will be intact.

HTH

derek