> To get those off:
>
> tar -zxvf /dev/st0 <filespec>
>
> The "z" in tar will compress/uncompress them on the fly. There are far
> better utilities for doing backups than tar. But in a pinch, it works. Let's

That's one aspect where the commercial backup systems should fare better
than plain 'tar' -- selective restore. The tape solution I had back
when I was using DOS let me just point and click files that I wanted
to restore. Plus, the files were stored at the beginning in a special
hash / index file, so if you wanted to restore 'foo' it would fast-forward
to where foo was, and get it.

In a pinch, tar works well -- and it's best for full system restores,
since the other solutions are usually too bgi and/or require too much
installed just to run off of a floppy. The other available packages
(arkeia, etc.) also may do better at incremental or differential system
backups -- but that's an area that I have not yet tried.

Just remember that a tape is a sequential device, so selective file
restore is less convenient.

Speaking of backups, there is 'dump' and 'restore' - these are less
familiar for most linux people, but they are fairly entrenched in
bsd. dump is probably harder to use and more arcane, and I've played
with it less than 'tar' but it does let you rummage around the tape
almost like a filesystem, you can interactively list directories, and
so forth.

(With this thread and the recent one on recording streams I hope
I get to have an impact changing magnetic patterns on a whole slew
of systems out there :).