> Thanks...that did the trick. Now all I've got to do is figure out just how
> to erase the tape before backing up to it. Or, does that happen
> automagically when tar begins to write to the device?

You don't have to. It's done by the tape hardware itself, just like a
regular audio/video tape. Sometimes a bulk eraser (courtesy of Radio Shack)
helps, but I personally haven't found a need to for DAT tapes - I just
keep writing on top of what was there before.

There is an 'erase' option in 'mt' but I've never used it.