dfox wrote:

> > I assume /dev/nst0 is used if you just want to append extra
>
> Well, it's used in conjunction with 'mt' to position the tape to
> the proper point. One can have index marks (they work like the
> ones on VCRs) so if I am at beginning of tape and want to fast forward
> to right after the first archive, I do:
>
> # mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf1
>
> Use of the no rewind device is critical here. Obviously I want to write
> or read after the first index mark, otherwise I wouldn't use the mt
> command. If I put
>
> # mt -f /dev/st0 fsf1

Thanks,

Thought it might be something like that.

I used to look after a few Novell Servers where

I worked a few years ago so am used to tape

backups in that environment. Usually they

had gui front-ends ( we used Arcserve )

mt wasn't on my system so I have just

fetched an rpm off rpmfind.

The one I got is mt-st-0.6-3mdk.i586.rpm

which seems to be the most recent stable version

for Mandrake.

best wishes,

norm

--