I have tried using both Noatun and Xmms with the same results from both,
for all intents and purposes the player looks like it is working (equalizer
works etc) but not sound, volume controls on both players are definatly set
to max (adjusting doesnt help either)

The only thing I can find that this might be is that my mobo has an onboard
sound card that mandrake has picked up even though I have this dsiabled in my
bios, and for some reasons mandrake is piping CD Audio though the SB Live and
MP3 audio though the mobo?? dunno