On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, List User wrote:

> After further investigation it would seem that the only audio I can play is
> CD audio, no wav or mp3 files will play, mpg movies dont have any sound, it
> seems like the entire sound server is failing somewhere as cd audio might be
> done via hardware instead ???? (can anybody confirm)
>
> So far I have :
> - checked Kmix and all volumes are unmuted and set to max
> - Checked Aumix and the same
> - Tried in different apps, Xmms, Noatun
> - Tried different sound servers in - Control Center-Sound-Sound Server-Sound
> I/O (this is currently set to auto detect, "open sound system" doesnt seem to
> do anything different, and the sound server fails to restart on "Advanced
> Linux Sound Architecture"
> - Check in hardDrake and the settings for the Sound Card all seem to be fine
>
> I cant think of anything else

Ok...now things are beginning to click a bit. are running Alsa sound
server? if it is running, turn it off via Mandrake Control Center. what
you're experiencing sounds all too familiar, but it's been a little while
since I personally have had to deal with it. I _do_ know that turning off
the Alsa server is part of the problem/solution. also, what kind of card
do you have?

--
daRmaTTeR

R L U: #186492
When ever people annoy me I remember, "Vengence is mine saith the Lord."
My prayer is, "...here am I Lord...send me!"