July 7, 2002 12:43 pm, Damian G wrote:

>Outout of "cat /etc/lilo.conf" (the system boots the 'new' kernel by default)
>boot=/dev/hda
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>vga=normal
>default=linux
>keytable=/boot/us.klt
>lba32
>prompt
>nowarn
>timeout=50
>message=/boot/message
>menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
>image=/boot/vmlinuz
>        label=old_linux
>        root=/dev/hda5
>        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
>        vga=normal
>        read-write
>image=/boot/vmlinuz
>        label=linux-nonfb
>        root=/dev/hda5
>        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
>        read-only
>image=/boot/vmlinuz
>        label=failsafe
>        root=/dev/hda5
>        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>        append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi"
>        read-only
>other=/dev/fd0
>        label=floppy
>        unsafe
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-8.1mdk
>        label=linux
>        root=/dev/hda5
>        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-8.1mdk.img
>        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
>        vga=normal
>        read-write

This is substantially correct, but it is better for your own use, and
the system reliability, to define the" label=linux" more specifically,
so that  if you add the kernel version you make sure you remember which
kernel you are booting , however by the time you add the failsafe and
nonfb it all gets a bit long, so I devised a simple shortening to ,
                                 82-2.4.18-6mdk
                                 82-2.4.18-6mdkfailsafe
                                 82-2.4.18-6mdknonfb

The new kernel        82-2.4.18-1mdk                 (82=Mandrake8.2)
                                 82-2.4.18-1mdkfailsafe
                                 82-2.4.18-1mdknonfb

This means 3 stanzas for each kernel version, and every time you add an
updated kernel another set of stanzas go in .

Likewise each of your  image=/boot/vmlinuz,  ought to include each
kernel version it is to use,so  image=vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk , just to be
certain.

At one time I had 4 kernel versions because I was looking for a driver
that I had been told had been added to one of them.

You might also consider adding rom drive scusi emulation support to your
append= line , so that the writer programmes can recognise it.
John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]