On Sunday 07 July 2002 10:22 am, ai4a wrote:

> In my Mandrake 8.2 the "export INSTALL_PATH=/boot" comes
> uncommentted. No need to uncomment it.

    Hmmm, I've never seen a kernel-source-xxxx.mdk.rpm that had it
uncommented, I've always had to remove the #.   I suppose the pre-
built kernel-xxx.mdk.rpms would have it uncommented ... never looked.

> >     I use this /etc/bashrc alias to check,
> >    alias bootlinks='ll /boot/{initrd,vmlinuz,System.map}*'
> > Typing 'bootlinks' then, at least initrd and vmlinuz should point
> > to the right kernels (the current active links will be color
> > hi-lited). My alias doesn't change anything, just displays the
> > current state of important links in /boot. Until I boot the new
> > kernel, the important links, initrd and vmlinuz point to the
> > correct kernel(s), but System.map doesn't
>
> On my system after I do the 'make install', neither 3 of the files
> points to the current working kernel. They all point to the new
> kernel that has not been rebooted yet. I think I must miss
> understand what you are saying!!

      No, I just didn't say it very well ;)  In every compile I can
remember, vmlinuz and initrd point to the new (freshly compiled)
kernel, even tho I haven't booted it for the first time yet.  This is
fine, since the other vmlinuz and initrd links in /boot point to
their matching (existing) kernel(s).  Only System.map doesn't point
to the new kernel till I boot it for the first time.

    So, bottom line, I believe if after you compile a new kernel, just
make sure there's vmlinuz and initrd links in /boot that point to the
new kernel, don't worry about System.map
--
    Tom Brinkman                      Corpus Christi, Texas