dfox wrote:

> > My system does not run lilo during the 'make install' process. I must do
> > it myself. It does reconfig lilo.conf to add the new kernel.
>
> It's not supposed to. 'make bzlilo' does that. Make install just plops
> the kernel in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386 somewhere.

Not true. 'make install' copies the kernel (not plops) to /boot, make
syslinks for vmlinuz & etc, & modifies lilo.config. You need to read the
complete message. Does RTFM stand for 'Read the Fine message'??

> make bzdisk puts the built kernel on a floppy disk. That's a good
> idea, especially for beginners - if the disk won't boot, you haven't
> hosed your system.

There are better & easier ways to do that. Just config lilo.conf to
point to a know good kernel and keep that kernel in /boot.  RTFM

> > On my system after I do the 'make install', neither 3 of the files
> > points to the current working kernel. They all point to the new kernel
>
> Well, they point to the kernel that's about to be booted - you're not
> trying to replace the working kernel on the fly, right? Still with
> make install, you have to do mv the kernels around yourself so that
> the next time you boot, the newly built kernel will be the one that's
> booted - that is why lilo needs to be rerun again.

RTFM RTFM RTFM. PLEASE. Your comments has nothing to do with the
message.

> > make no claim about knowing anything about how the System.map works.
> > Just on my system, System.map does not need to point to the correct
> > kernel for the system to boot.
>
> No, but it's a probably good idea that it does.

WHY? WHY?   RTFM.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Charles