What Southbridge does the Epox EP-6VBA have?  Could be one of  following
VT8231, VT82C686A, VT82C686B, VT8233, VT8233A, VT8233C, VT8235

All but the VT8235 are currently supported, although the VT8233A requires a
new driver to get it working.

Xine can use OSS, ALSA, ESD and ARTSD but I have only used it with OSS (ALSA
emulation).  Check /etc/modules.conf for lines like;

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-viaXXXX (X being the southbridge you have)

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

This provides the ALSA modules with oss emulation (or should do :)

Try:> cat /proc/pci

To get an idea or what hardware is installed.

Hope it helps

Andy