Looks like the VT82C686 so modules.conf  should look something like this,
I'd open up you case and have a look at the Southbridge to get the exact
revision... as there are 2 versions "a" and "B" rule of thumb if I remember
correctly is that "a" only supports ATA66 and "B" supports ATA100 (not sure
if that helps much).

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a (for 686B, 8231)

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

This will setup OSS emulation so all you need to do is launch xine, open
Tools/Audio and change "null" to "oss" and press enter.

Or you can do it from bash # xine -A oss

There's a good section on VIA audio drivers here >
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=128 and http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=88

Cheers

Andy