[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>well, i decided to go ahead and install Mandrake8.2 ..  on several
>computers..  just for the hell of it.
>
>(what can i say.  its been a slow week)
>
>Anyway.   My main problem is NO SOUND.
>none, what so ever.   Nada.   Zip.
>
>(that and everything connected to my southbridge... not being recognised)
>

>the machine is multi-booting win98/XP/Mandrake ..   98 likes my sound card.
>Win XP likes it.    however ML8.2 doesnt want to know
>

>The sound card is a Creative Audigy platinum...     (if anyone could give me
>ANY help in getting ANY sound out of this, i'd apreciate it.
>

>The rest of the system is...
>
>AMD athlon 2100XP+ (overclocked to 2100)
>ASUS A7V333 (wiht only a few overclocked features...  mainly to the Core
>voltage, and Memory voltage)
>512mb of PC2700 Cas2, runnning at 1:1 cas/Ras latency (as oppesed to 4:5)
>Asus Geforce 4 4400 (not over clocked..  but only because it wont go more than
>2.5% faster)
>realtec 8139 10/100 NIC (which didnt work orignially, but i've sorted that out
>now)
>External 33.6 hard modem ...
>internal K56Flex modem ..   which sadly is a win modem, and the Drivers from
>Conexant dont like it...
>Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache 120Gig hdd.  (lots of partioning here...)
>
>Anyone else have problems with similar equipment...
>

>Any ideas at all would be nice.
>

>anything,
>

>please...

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, you are lucky to run linux overclocked.  Quite frequently it will
not overclock because driver timing is already tight on the specs
instead of loose and sloppy like other OSes.

The Audigy is supported barely by emu10k driver module and mostly in
non-digital mode.  At the present time it is mainly a Winsound card.
 This is typical for a lot of new hardware.  The manufacturer issues it
with windrivers which will work on some versions of windows and _maybe_
a binary-only linux driver which will work on _one_ kernel compilation.
 After a source wrapper is prepared, then it can possibly be compiled
for other kernels.

Understand that the windows kernel changed between 95 and 98 not by a
single byte!

Anyway, with a lot of playing around, many people are hearing sound from
the Audigy.  Study the recent archives of this list and you can find
examples.  Naturally the next release due out in a couple of months will
handle the Audigy better.  It was actually released to the market about
the same time as the 8.2 release.

Civileme