On Monday July 15 2002 02:44 pm, Joe Harkins wrote:

> In a separate issue, does anyone know how to configure Kmail, the KDE
> email client, for an Earthlink pop account? The config in Kmail
> confuses me because there is a default account  that seems partly
> installed but cannot be modified or removed. When I try to check
> email for my Earthink account I get 2 error msgs, one on top of the
> other. They are cryptic. They only say it didn't work. No clue what's
> wrong. I think one comes from that default pop account which is not
> and cannot be configured. The second seems to comes from the
> Earthlink account due to some mal-configuration that I haven't quite
> got right in that pop account. Suggestions? Maybe a sample of what is
> wanted at each of the setup dialogs?
>
> What's with the default pop account? Why is it there and why can't it
> be touched?.

    I dunno, you should be able to hi-lite the existing account and clk
on 'Remove'.  I vaugely remember with an older Kmail version (you
should'a mentioned what Mandrake and Kmail versions you're using), that
the account refused to 'remove'. So find your 'kmailrc' file, mine's
/home/tom/.kde/share/config/kmailrc, and in that file, delete the
account (ie, everything under [Account __]), with a text editor. Leave
the other [.......] sections alone, and save the edited file.  Then
back in Kmail, the default account will be gone, and you can add yours
and choose pop.

    There's nothing real special about setting up an Earthlink mail
account. As with most ISP's you'll need to specify a userID and
password. Unlike the dialup config tho, don't preface your userID with
'ELN/' for mail (or news).  Also, EL will probly refuse your mail
unless you fill in your name, organization, and correct email address
in Kmail's 'Identity' section.  Tip:  edit 'On %D, you wrote:' to
'On %D, %F wrote:'  (without the 's)   in the Composer | Phrases
section, so when there's (several) replies to a post, we can still
figure out who wrote what instead of wonder'n who 'you' is ;)