Joe,

I can help with the first part of what you need to do.  At the bottom of the
screen on the "panel" (ala Window$ "taskbar"), you should see an icon shaped
like a house.  This will open up a Konqueror window in your home directory
(/home/<username).  In the Konqueror window, look for the "View" menu, and in
that menu you will find the option "Show Hidden Files".  You should see the
number of icons in your home directory grow very rapidly.  You will see lots
of folders and files beginning with a period (.), indicating hidden files and
folders.  From there, just continue on with Derek's recommendations, and you
should be on your way.

Hope that helps.

Terry