"Nuking" is the pinging of a machine with an illegal sized packet, or assaults on
other ports on the machine.  Many windows machines will crash when this happens. I
don't know of any such problems with Linux.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hendrick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 2:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Nuke protection?

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Paul Hendrick wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Does Mandrake 6 have Nuke protection?  I go on IRC every now and again so I'm
> > sure a lot of people here will know why I could do with it :-/
> > If not, is there any program for this?  I've looked at
> > http://easynet.linuxberg.com for something, but I don't think theres any files
> > there to help me out.

> OK, I'll byte 8-),   what's Nuke protection?

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I know what it can do :(
When you enter a channel on IRC your IP is there for everyone to see it.  There
are loads of "Nuke" programs for Windoze and all someone has to do is enter
your IP and click send or "Kill IP".  After a few seconds the victim IP is
dead, i.e your modem hangs up.
There was a program called NukeNabber for Windows.  Also, Lockdown2000
(http://www.lockdown200.com).
These progs basically intecept the nuke and disable the port.
I think they get you by sending data packets that get bigger and biger untill
your connection is lost...

--
Best Regards,
Paul Hendrick