Gustavo Viola wrote:

> I have tried that, switched a number of keyboards (including the Swedish you
> mentioned, and Western European, which would be appropriate for my using),
> restarted KDE a few times, but it did not work at all.  How was the keyboard
> setup supposed to be activated?  Did I do anything wrong?
>
> On another note:  I believe this matter could be addressed at a lower level,
> from the console itself; if I use the kbdconfig utility, I can choose an
> appropriate keyboard, as Swedish, Swedish latin, U.S., French...  I have
> tried all of them, but none worked for me.  What I want to do is to be able
> to type " ´+ a " and " á " comes out, or " , + c " to get "ç" , "  ` + a "
> for "à" (I am using Win98 at work now, that is the reason why I can type
> such characters at all)... does anyone know if I can add keyboard types to
> the kbdconfig utility?  Or changing keymaps?  Any
> Portuguese/Spanish/French/Italian/Swedish/Any Language -speaking people who
> have dealt with a similar issue?
>
> /Gustavo Viola   ß^»
> He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly.

Hi, Gustavo,
Try these links. I hope you will find something helpful. Here you gonna find a
good script (./acentos). It does almost all the job and it is painless to work
out.
http://jefferson.computers.webjump.com/
And here you will find some documents that may help around changing files and
doing all the job by hand. This is the site of the channel #linux_redhat (at
the Brasnet server). The main page is http://users.linsnet.br/linuxall/ and the
page where you can find the tutorial that teaches how to use the "dead keys" is

http://users.linsnet.br/linuxall/tutorial/tutacentos.htm
So, have fun. The last one is a brazilian site. So, it is written is
portuguese.
There is one more thing I d like to talk about. We have been writing in
portuguese/english and this list is supposed to use english as its primary
language. So, I think we should keep writing in english and if we want, write
in portuguese just between us brazilians or portuguese speakers/writers outside
the list. Anyway it was a good idea because called attention to one good point;
there is an increasing number of brazilians using Mandrake (It is good to know
I am not just one of a few using Mandrake in Brazil). I hope next releases will
come with a keyboard map for brazilian keyboards.
best regards,
Rodrigo