Colin Jenkins wrote:

>Hello John,
>
>Wednesday, July 31, 2002, 12:48:53 PM, you wrote:
>
>JR> At 11:14 AM 31/07/02, you did spake with authority
>
>>>John Rigby wrote:
>>>

>JR> Again, please stop shooting at the messenger - learn to look at things in
>JR> an adult way. Don't be afraid of new/different information. THAT is how we
>JR> all learn.
>JR> Those that do advance, anyway.
>
>JR> PEACE!
>
>JR> John Rigby
>

>Usually I stay right out of this type of discussion, but I have to
>agree with you..............
>I work with windows networking every day and continue to persevere
>with linux at home. I have just introduced a couple of linux boxes at
>work, and it is becoming a nightmare to set them up with windows.
>As much as I want to use linux, the software I HAVE to use only runs
>on windows (emulators are no answer).
>I also have scanners, printers and other devices that do not work with
>md8.2 and I will not be 'upgrading' hardware just to un a different
>os.
>Unfortunatly, there are too many fanatics (both windows and linux) who
>will not accept that an os is a tool, not a way of life.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Yes, those items at the Microsoft trial were lumped together in what is
called the "application barrier to entry".  Microsoft has influenced
hardware makers to issue hardware that needs drivers which use the CPU
heavily (easy to do in a cost-sensitive market) and then assisted them
in preparing the drivers so that they are never released for another
platform.  And bound them with a contract for secrecy, so the other side
cannot easily reverse-engineer the drivers from the behavior of the
devices with zero tech info.  Printers aren't too hard, and much
progress has been made; scanners are more difficult, and USB modems and
some video cards are nigh-on impossible.

But there is a hidden cost in using such stuff which the survivors in
the business world will have considered...

Proprietary applications are fast becoming uncrackable because more and
more states are passing UCITA which gives software license agreements
the force of law(!!!).  Once that passes in Washington State, unless
Microsoft sees fit to alter its EULA, it will be illegal to write an
import program for Word or Excel or Publisher files, and Microsoft is
under no obligation to provide an export program.

At that point, with your _business_data_ hostage, $ub$cription fee$
become likely and rather unavoidable.  Expect a lot of different revenue
models to be experimented with, for, if truth be known, Microsoft is
losing money as well.  Their financials look good because a loophole in
the law allows them not to account for a huge obligation to their
employees, and as a result their stock prices are a bit puffed.

So my layoff is not a harbinger.  It is Mandrakesoft doing what is
necessaryto survive--the picture actually looks rosy with the current
programs ramping up--but those revenue streams are by no means
immediate--selling preinstalled computers is great, but revenue becomes
significant about 90 to 120 days after the sales begin, for example. The
real key players are the developers, not me.

Now finally a word about difficulty.  Those complaining the loudest seem
to be the ones who know Windows best.  The systems are different, and it
is remarkable that there is enough carryover that sswitching is not a
whole lot more painful than it is.  I know folks who used the original
Word Perfect before it was twice sold, and they still run Windows 3.11
to use it, because it is what they learned.  And the only way to get it
from them is to pry it from their cold, dead fingers.

But try Mandrake preinstalled.  SInce we worked with the manufacturer
and developed scripts to tune it to the hardware specifically, there are
no problems.   Of course, there are still scanners and other devices
that won't work, but for new acquisitons it is easy to avoid them.

But it is OK for businesses to stick with windows for now.  If I set up
consulting for conversion, I will be charging much much more later when
the data has been placed in a hostage situation, because I will have to
print it to paper, use a scanner and OCR, and write programs to store it
in open, human-readable formats.  Like the mechanic holding up the
FRAM(tm) oil filter, I can hold up linux and say, "Pay me now, or pay me
later, your choice."

And again, I apologize for the post to the list.  I don't think the
layoff would have been noticeable, from the perspective of list members.

Civileme