On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 04:10:40 -0400
Isaac Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm psyched to hear about the ethernet success. As for onboard sound,
> the AC '97 audio gave me hell when I first tried Linux on my family's
> ABIT-VH6-II system. What's up with the whole AC '97 problem anyway? I
> remember I went through hours of hell solving it and don't even remember what
> I did because it was over a year ago. Your email is saved in my /home now
> because I'm sure I'll refer to it later, but I'm curious as to the actual
> source of the problem. Is AC '97 flawed or is it that linux is not on top of
> its drivers? Should I avoid doing another AC '97 system? This is going to be
> a 100% Linux machine.
>
> Isaac

<snip>

AFAIK AC'97 is a _part_ of the audio hardware specification. It's used on
mainboards from Intel (i810/810E, i815, i820, i830, i840), mainboards based
on the VIA 82C686A/686B (south) bridge and mainboards based on the VIA 8233
(south) bridge and probably others. Each of the three groups needs
a different driver. There is no reason to avoid a mainboard with AC'97 sound
but neither is it garanteed to work. It depends on the mainboard (most times
on the used south bridge). That said, I think Linux has good support for
current mainboards with AC'97 sound. HTH,

    -Frans