OK, a newbie problem.

I installed Mandrake 8.2 Thursday night. Was able to connect to the internet
with my Cisco uBR900 cable model (through Adelphia), but only after some
fiddling with the Mandrake Command Center (it didn't work immediately after
installation).

Today, I was using MandrakeUpdate to download updates. Was able to download
many of the "important ones" (security and bugfixes). After they were
downloaded, I rebooted my machine (Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with 196 RAM
and 500Mhz). At that point, I lost my internet connection (the number 1
light on the cable modem wouldn't even glow, and no lights flickered on my
network adapter); no amount of fiddling would get me a connection through
the Mandrake Command Center.

Yet when I reboot and launch Win2K, the number 1 light glows, and I get an
internet connection... reboot and go linux, the light goes out and no
connection.

BTW, when I reboot in linux, I get a couple of error messages: the ext2fs
file is "out of date"... httpd-perl and httpd fail to launch.

Also: I'm running a Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10 56K modem (if that helps).

Am I missing something here?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

bw