Many thanks to everyone who replied to my question about swap file sizes.

Now I have another concern.

I have an 80GB hard drive with one partition containing windows XP and
formatted NTFS.

I plan to use Partitionmagic 7.0 to shrink this partition to 40GB thus
leaving me 40GB to install LM 8.2. However the PM manual containds dire
warnings about a linux bootable partition needing to be below the 1024
cylinder (8GB) boundary.

Is this still a problem with LM 8.2 and if so what would be the best way
round it.

Note my previous nmachine only had a 8GB disk and so I had no problems with
Win 98 and LM 8.0.

Thanks in advance
petew