On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:00:40 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hey, i got 2 linux books from the library lol.. Dated about 2000 I believe...
> The book talks about Redhat 4. something so i guess its kinda old. Anyways I
> was wondering what is better, Gnome or KDE for Windows Manager. Let me know
> ur comments :)

Red Hat 4? That book is _way_ out of date. Ignore anything it says about
graphical interfaces.

You should install both so that you can use apps from both environments. KDE
apps will work in GNOME and vice-versa. With both installed, you can try them
and see for yourself. Any "X is better than Y" argument is bound to be very
subjective.

I strongly suggest that you install Mandrake 9.0 (to be released next month).
The versions of GNOME and KDE included in Mandrake 9.0 are _far_ better than the
ones in 8.2.

Also remember that there are dozens of other environments out there, including
Enlightenment and XFce, to name only a few.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a
means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
                -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.