On sáb, 11 set 1999, you wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Every time I boot I have to tell Linux to mount my secondary master, a MS-Dos
> > disk.  I believe there is a way to do that automatically, either in one of the
> > initialization files or in an item on the desktop (such as the ones for the
> > CD-Rom and Floppy), but have not found a trace of that in the documentation.
> > Can anyone help me out?
> >
> As root, edit your fstab and tell it to auto-mount at boot. I don't
> have a copy of a dual-boot system fstab here, but IIRC, the command
> is something similar to the following:
>
> /dev/hda1     /mnt/dos        vfat  user, auto, <etc> 0 0
>
>       John

I read the man mount and man fsat following Frederic PLE suggestion (thanks,
Fred!) and modified my /etc/fstab which now reads:

/dev/hda1               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda6               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc1               /mnt/disk               vfat
sync,user,auto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              auto
user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  mode=0622       0 0

My problem is the hdc1 which does not work.  I chose the "vfat" for a filesystem
type according to John Aldrich suggestion, since the "msdos" type mentioned in
the man fstab would not work (the HDD in question was formatted as a FAT32);
also, I chose "sync,user,auto,nosuid,nodev,unhide" mount options because
"defaults" did not work (so I just copied the options for my fd0 and changed
noauto to auto);  lastly, the "0 0" options were deemed appropriate because: 1)
I don't know what "dump" is, my man files tell me nothing about it 2) I felt
Linux did not need to check this specific filesystem at boot -- plus those were
the options suggested in John's message.

However, whenever I try to copy anything into my /mnt/disk Linux says "Could
not write file.  Perhaps access denied."  I've checked my permission tab under
KDE for /mnt/disk and everything is fine, and I can read the drive as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
/Gustavo.