On Monday September 9 2002 05:05 pm, Mike Graham wrote:
> On Monday 09 September 2002 11:30 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >    See 'info hdparm'.  If your drive wasn't automagically setup by
> > Mandrake to use it's full udma potential, it could signify hardware
> > or other issues. You can forcibly set the drive by usin the -d
> > (enable dma) and -X switches. For the -X switch (udma mode) add the
> > mode you want to try to 64.  For example (udma5, 5+64) a typical
> > line for your Seagate ata/100 is      hdparm -d1 -c1 -X69 /dev/hdx

> Tom I have a Maxtor 80 gig ATA 133 and would like to set the hdparm
> to use the ATA 133.I tried your settings and set it to use ATA 100 to
> test it and it is outstanding. What setting of -X would I usefor ATA
> 133? This setting for ATA 100 of -X69 makes it fly and I can't
> believe I have missed all this speed. Thank you very much.
> Mike Graham

   [Disclaimer, I've never used a drive as ata/133]   ata/133 loosely
corresponds to udma6, so 64+6 would be -X70.  Try it? IME, pushing the
hdparm setting(s) too high won't often cause immediate problems (data
corruption). If 'hdparm -t' produces no viable gain tho, forget /133,
wasn't automatically enabled for udma5, or 6. Doesn't necessarily have
to do with the drive, but could be the cable, the motherboard (and
PSU), and the controller it's runnin on, not to mention the OS
(kernel).   All need to fully support 133, if one parts not up to it...
then no go.

   Everything I've read reports that /133 produces little, no gain in
benchmarks. Same for the long promised serial-ata.  There's only so
many ways you can apply 'rising/falling' kludges to the good ol' 33mhz
PCI bus all these tricks run on ;)  Also, please consider that drive
benchmarks, even hdparm -t, have little to do with real world tranfers.
 ata/133 boasts 133ms/sec 'potential' rate, benches put it closer to
40+mb/sec, and real world usually comes in around 20 to 'stalled',
never'a steady rate.  Much like a dialup Net connection.

    Still with me?  M$ and HDD manufacturers are the original liars.
Not only do 80 gig drives not hold 80 gigabytes (ie, 1 million bytes is
not a megabyte), and don't have the full advertised available buffer
amount, they also aren't often capable of the advertised serial rate
either. Never fear, the Tux doesn't lie ;>   run  'hdparm -I /dev/hdx'
(notice the capitol 'I')  For example, you just might see <excerpt>,

Standards:
        Used: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
        Supported: 5 4 3 2 & some of 6

  That's directly read from my 40g 7200rpm 2mb Maxtor's firmware.

   So it's only kind'a sort'a an ata/133 (ie, 'some of' udma6) drive.
Billy G., OTOH would pass full blessin on it. 'Course we all know how
much he cares about your data  ;~>>