On Tuesday 10 Sep 2002 11:00 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>    If I understand your statement... yes. Even if the drive is set to
> ata/100 (udma5), and all other requirements are good to go, if the
> proper 80w cable is not used, the drive will default to ata/33. As to
> your arrangement, IME you might be better off putting, or at least
> tryin both hardrives on ide0 (primary channel), and the cd-rw on ide1
> (secondary channel).  Keep the non?-80w cable on ide1 (secondary) for
> the cd-rw, use your 80w cable for the harddrives on ide0 (primary).  If
> you didn't have a CDr drive, or if you had more ide channels, then what
> you've read about putting HDD's on separate channels is true.

After changing the drive to ide0 as slave, I got ata100 and tr results are as
follows.
[root@localhost lvgandhi]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb
/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.42 seconds = 90.14 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.54 seconds = 41.56 MB/sec

Previously it was
[root@localhost HDDdetails]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.34 seconds = 95.52 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.27 seconds = 28.19 MB/sec
Thanks for the advice.

>     no 32bit support, needs 'hdparm -c1 /dev/hda'   Think of it in terms
> of a highway.  In light traffic, a 2 lane road can handle as many
> vehicles as a 4 lane.  But come rush hour, the more lanes the better ;)
> Right now you've got 16 lanes, you need to enable 32 lanes.

After changing it to c1, I didn't find any improvement in rates. Further
hdparm -I /dev/hdb gives as
r/w multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
Whether this means that drive itself is capable of max 16bit not 32 bit. Hence
no improvement in speed. Whether still you feel it is better to change it to
-c1?

>      The saving grace here is the 7200rpms and 2mb buffer.  Most 7200,
> 2mb drives are udma5 capable tho, and then this number would be
> 40+mb/sec.
yes I could get it as given above. and also
hdparm -I /dev/hdb gives as
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5

> For judging huge data
> crunching (video editing?) capability you might wanna look at some
> benches like 'bonnie'.

Any pointer please?

--
L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017