Maybe I wasn't clear the first time.  I am serving about 5 domains using
the virtual server capacity of Apache.  Rather than putting the sites in
the default location, I want them where I choose to put them
(/home/asm/html/site1, /home/asm/html/site2, /home/asm/html/site3, etc.)
and it is there that I don't seem to be getting the proper permissions set.
I've been through the permissions at each level many times.  Home is owned
by root, group root.  asm is owned by asm, group is apache, html and site
folders are the same.