Steve, your approach sounds pretty good. Is 20 gigs
enough for all that though? My xp installing is over 6
gigs. I have a similar setup but I use a 15gig chopped
in half (7.5gig for all of linux and 7.5 for fat32
data partition). Then I have a 40gig drive with xp on
a 12gig partition and the rest is for storage. You
should be all set. The latest mandrake is pretty easy
to set up.

--- Steven Kopischke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My laptop is returning home tomorrow after a week in
> the shop for a bad
> hard drive. It is a 4-month old Compaq Presario with
> 256Mb RAM and a 20Gb
> hard drive -- plenty of room for XP and Linux to
> coexist while I migrate to
> Linux. That having been said, how do I begin?
>
> (I have the three Mandrake 8.2 ISO CD's I created
> from downloads and once
> successfully installed on the above-mentioned
> laptop. However, the lesson I
> learned is that I can't be too cavalier with carving
> up my laptop.)
>
>  From what I have read on this list over the past
> couple of weeks, I am
> considering the following approach:
>
> 1. Start with XP loaded and install Partition Magic.
> (I would partition the
> hard drive before installing anything if I could,
> but I only have a
> 'recovery' CD that drops an image onto the hard
> drive without regard for
> how I may want to partition it.)
> 2. Carve the hard drive into at least four volumes:
>          a: Windows XP operating system and
> applications (leave as NTFS
> file system)
>          b: Linux operating system and applications
> (ext2 file system)
>          c: Linux swap
>          d: Data (FAT 32 file system so I can access
> from both OS')
> 3. Install Mandrake 8.2
> 4. Install XP applications
> 5. Restore data files
>
> My questions are these:
> - Is my approach sound?
> - Will my drive partitioning work?
> - How large should the drive volumes be to maximize
> utility? (I know I can
> resize at will with Partition Magic, but I'd like to
> leave it stable for a
> while.)
> - Is there anything I am neglecting to take into
> consideration?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your input.
>

> Steven Kopischke
> Green Bay, WI USA