On Thursday 19 September 2002 10:12 pm, Michael Notforyou wrote:

> > > Steven Kopischke
> > > Green Bay, WI USA
> >
> > Steven:
> > Looks good, and sounds like fun. One suggestion though: I've had better
> > luck confining Partition Magic to the WIndows stuff only, and using the
> > Mandrake tools for Linux. (Although it might have been operator error...
> > Nah.)
>
> DO NOT use diskdrake ("linux tools") to resize an NTFS partition. YOU
> WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA!!! DON'T DO IT! If in doubt, force
> PartitionMagic to LEAVE UNPARTITIONED SPACE ON THE DRIVE. Then let
> DiskDrake work on THAT ONLY!!!
>
> > -- cmg

Michael:
Errr, that's what I thought I wrote, albeit in a less emphatic mode. My
apologies if it wasn't clear. My point was that I had a problem with using PM
to manipulate Linux partitions in the past. (I can't remember the exact
details, but it was probably back around 7.1/7.2 days.) I used PM to set up
vaious Windows and linux partitions, do the formatting, etc. It seemed to
work for a few days when a massive failure of the linux filesystem occurred.
I didn't bother to do a root cause analysis, but since then I've confined PM
usage to Windows partitions only, and DiskDrake to Linux partitions, and life
has been good.

And, if you stop and think about it, are there really any advantages to using
PM for Linux? DiskDrake provides far more options, and is probably quicker.

-- cmg