S3 Virge can be a nightmare on Windows systems.  The company that
produced them is out of business.  There are still drivers archived,
although choosing the correct one must be done carefully.  You probably
will be o.k. updating for Win98 or maybe even Win98 SE as long as you're
using Win95 drivers (Win98 and SE were expensive bug fixes for Win95)
...  but I wouldn't try it (--from personal experience) on WinMe, Win2K
or WinXP (these are listed for others who read this) because the
available drivers either can't be installed successfully (windows
doesn't recognize or use them) or they crash the card.

Have you considered changing to a more mainstream card?

Erik