This is a hardware problem, not a Linux problem. But perhaps someone has
faced this problem before.

I've amazed my friends by setting up a Linux-firewall-on-a-floppy in our
city hall on an ancient 486 that was retired ages ago. But when I try to
run it headless, it won't boot unless I plug a keyboard back in. As a
workaround I've got an old keyboard that doesn't work very well plugged
into the box, but that is both an inelegant solution and a temptation to
idle fingers. Nor is this an idle complaint: our frequent power outages
mean that the box must reboot often and reliably.

I suspect that the problem is hardwired and the only solution is to
change the motherboard. (I see no BIOS settings that should affect the
keyboard.) But somebody prove me wrong, please.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras