On Tuesday 24 September 2002 07:21 am, Warren Post scribbled something about:
> This is a hardware problem, not a Linux problem. But perhaps someone has
> faced this problem before.
>
> I've amazed my friends by setting up a Linux-firewall-on-a-floppy in our
> city hall on an ancient 486 that was retired ages ago. But when I try to
> run it headless, it won't boot unless I plug a keyboard back in. As a
> workaround I've got an old keyboard that doesn't work very well plugged
> into the box, but that is both an inelegant solution and a temptation to
> idle fingers. Nor is this an idle complaint: our frequent power outages
> mean that the box must reboot often and reliably.
>
> I suspect that the problem is hardwired and the only solution is to
> change the motherboard. (I see no BIOS settings that should affect the
> keyboard.) But somebody prove me wrong, please.

        Check the BIOS and see if there is something like "halt on error". I've
encountered this problem before and by changing the halt on error to
something else, the computer was able to boot cleanly each time with no
keyboard. I realize that you said you couldn't find anything in the bios
about it but the actual setting doesn't really look like it would have
anything to do with the keyboard. Which bios does that machine have?

-Gary