Hi,

I'm very new to Linux and decided I'd try Mandrake,
which  seems cool so far.  But, there are certain
things I've had troubles with:

My sound does not play.  I loaded Hard Drake, ran
sound care configuration, and when it says it is
playing an 8 bit sample, I don't hear anything.  I
have a ESS Technology ESS1969 Solo-1 AudioDrive
according to HardDrake.

I have had difficulty running an ftp server.  I set up
wuftp but then realized that I was already running
proftpd.  Which is better?  I found wuftp to have
decent documentation, but when I tried to read
proftpd's website's documentation, it made little
sense, probably because I've never configured Apache
before and it's apparently similar.

What are some common apps that people use for Linux?
I've installed mplayer to play divx's, and it seems
ok.  Anything better for divx and other video formats?
 What about realmedia?  Also, what's the favored mail
client?  Mozilla Mail any good?  I like the Mozilla
browser so far.

Finally, what are the steps for upgrading to the new
Mandrake versions?  I have 8.1 from the box, but I'd
like to download the new 9.0.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if my questions are seem
very newbish.

-William