William Chan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm very new to Linux and decided I'd try Mandrake,
>which  seems cool so far.  But, there are certain
>things I've had troubles with:
>
>My sound does not play.  I loaded Hard Drake, ran
>sound care configuration, and when it says it is
>playing an 8 bit sample, I don't hear anything.  I
>have a ESS Technology ESS1969 Solo-1 AudioDrive
>according to HardDrake.

Try running sndconfig while not in X (for some reason sound
configuration and X-window display sometimes don't like each other).

>I have had difficulty running an ftp server.  I set up
>wuftp but then realized that I was already running
>proftpd.  Which is better?  I found wuftp to have
>decent documentation, but when I tried to read
>proftpd's website's documentation, it made little
>sense, probably because I've never configured Apache
>before and it's apparently similar.

Proftp is generally reckoned to be a bit more secure than wuftp.  It's
pretty easy to edit the example configuration file - just rename your
edited file to /etc/proftpd.conf, and you should be ready to go.

>What are some common apps that people use for Linux?
>I've installed mplayer to play divx's, and it seems
>ok.  Anything better for divx and other video formats?
> What about realmedia?

Xine is a good allround media player, though won't play realmedia files.
 There is a Linux version of RealPlayer availablefrom their site, but
it's closed source (rumours of spyware abound, though I don't know of
any confirmation of these - it's certainly nothing like MS Mediaplayer).

>Also, what's the favored mail
>client?  Mozilla Mail any good?  I like the Mozilla
>browser so far.

All mail clients have their own advocates: KMail, Evolution, Sylpheed
and Mozilla are all popular.  It's largely a matter of taste - I like
Mozilla for a nice compromise between features and simplicity.  I wish
they'd implement separate image preferences for the browser and mail
client, though (which Evolution has).

>Finally, what are the steps for upgrading to the new
>Mandrake versions?  I have 8.1 from the box, but I'd
>like to download the new 9.0.

There have been some posts on this recently.  I generally prefer to just
backup everything and do a clean install, but I hear that upgrades are
less problematic than they used to be.  You'll get a prompt at the
beginning of the install process asking you if you want to install or
upgrade. It's worth upgrading in expert mode, as this gives you more
control over the process.

>Thanks in advance, and sorry if my questions are seem
>very newbish.

Hey, it's a newbie list!  It's probably better to post unrelated
questions separately, though - it adds to the bulk of mail, but it helps
keep threads untangled, and you're more likely to get useful answers if
the subject header clearly reflects the question.

Sir Robin

--
"Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans.
It's lovely to be silly at the right moment" - Horace

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533