I see that your Dell Inspiron 7500 either has a CD-ROM/Floppy Drive or
DVD-ROM/Floppy Dive unit in the Media Bay. Assuming that I understand
correctly: 1) your CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) drive is able to read
commercially produced CDs flawlessly; 2) you aren't specifically
speaking of being able to boot off those CD-Rs when you say "not
readable"; 3) and you can read CD-Rs produced on other than your Linux
PC --- It sounds like the problem lies exclusively in your Dell.

Older CD-ROMs could not read the surfaces of CD-Rs due to the lighter
burn temp and impressions made with a CD-R drive. That was pre-12X days.
I have a 24X Toshiba that will sit there and churn for the better part
of a minute trying to make sense of a CD-R, then quit. It would be an
unexpected surprise for a modern laptop to have a CD-ROM drive (I won't
even entertain a DVD-ROM drive incapable of seeing a CD-R!) that was
blind in this area.

I think the key to understanding what's happening is in having you
better define what it is that your Dell's ROM drive *can* and *cannot
do*. If you can say that you have tried burns off of other PCs (owned or
unowned), and commercial CDs, too, and they all work in your Dell,
PLUS...the burns off your Linux box are readable in other PCs (non-Linux
ones, too)...as a professional troubleshooter, I would start to look at
your Dell as the sole source of the problem. If your laptop is still
under warranty, call Dell and ask them if there is a known issue with
the particular combo drive that you have on your computer. Check their
support site (http://support.dell.com/), login with your account (if you
have one), create one, or use your computers Service Tag number to get
to the info specific to your machine. Then look in the downloads area
for patches or driver upgrades. You could have an earlier production
combo unit with a sensitivity to CD-Rs produced by certain CD-RWs, or
its plain buggy and needs a TLC patch. :-)

Please remember that all this I have said here is under the assumption
that you are only speaking about the inability to *read* any CDs on your
Dell laptop that were burned exclusively on your Linux box.

Good Luck, Paul. I hope you find your answer...