Before I proceed, I would like to greet averyone on this list.

I am new to the list, so if I make any mistakes :
a. Bare with me
b. Tell me where I went wrong

Here goes my problem.

I've been having issues with mandrake 8.2 (tried to upgrade from
8.1), so I decided to install my freshly downloaded copy of
linux Mandrake 9.0.

Everything went fine up to the X-window part. Installation went
smoothly and linux asked my resolution for X. I have an Eizo 19"
monitor and a Kyro Hercules 4000 with 32Mb of RAM, so the system
thought it would be a good idea to suggest 1240X1024 16-bit colour.
When installation finished I got the above resolution which is not
the best for my eyes, so I tried to tweak the res with the help
of XFdrake but to no avail.

I , now, lost all X-windows and the only thing I did was to change
the boot resolution on /etc/lilo.conf from 1240x1024 to 800x600
(note: that's the "vga=" part on lilo.conf). I suspect that something
went wrong there and the system will no longer launch X-windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any given docs for XF86-4.x
Looks like it's very different from previous versions of XF86 (say
3.3.6).

Thank you for your time and patience,

Spyros Tsiolis

-----
"I merely function as a channel that filters music through
the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis