On Wednesday 02 Oct 2002 8:59 am, Barran, Richard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using Fluxbox on my home machine (LM8.2) for several weeks now.
> I'd like to run certain programs at startup: xscreensaver, and some GUI
> applications I use all the time such as Kmail.
> I read a page on mandrakeuser.org about creating a .Xclients file with the
> program I want to run, followed the instructions to the letter but no
> success.
>
> Can someone help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

There are a number of ways to do this. What I do is insert a line in
~/.fluxbox/init

session.screen0.rootCommand: /home/derek/.fluxbox/startup

This calls up a little bash script which starts all my start up apps for me.

#!/bin/bash
xscreensaver -no-splash &
bsetbg -f ~/fluoresence6.jpg
wmxmms &
wmapm &
wmsysmon &
bbpager &
rox -l mypanel

Why use a script and not just put several   "session.screen0.rootCommand"
statements? For some reason I could not get it to work if I had more than
one.

BTW: If you are using fluxbox because it it is faster than KDE, then give
sylpheed a try in place of Kmail.  It is *lots* faster. And if you are on
Mandrake 9.0, then rox is now available in Contrib. It is way faster than
konqueror file manager

HTH

derek