Hi,

I seem to get into the habit of answering my questions myself, so I have to
just stop posting them :)

One last question nevertheless: is this the right way to split files that are
larger than a cdr and to put them together again? (the cat command is listed
as text-utility in my book)

to create a multi volume archive:
- tar -czf largeFiles (produces one mega large file)
- split -b 680m largeFile (this produces files (xa, xb, xc... ) each with
filesize 680 Mb)
- burn each part on cd.

To restore I would do:
- copy all parts to the same dir on HD
- cat x* > allMyLargeFiles.tar.gz
- tar -xzf allMyLargeFiles.tar.gz

Is this the correct way? Does cat work correctly everytime (I just tested it
twice and it worked perfectly)?
Is there a simpler way? Someone mentioned that tar can create multi volume
files itself - but I could not figure out how to create those (in the end I
just got one strange looking file on my HD)

Patrik