Patrik Marxer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think this may be a simple command, but I havent found it so
> far. I want to backup the vmware files on cdr so I need to cut them
> into pieces that I can burn on cd and later put those together into
> the original files again.
>
> What is the program/command to cut files and put them together?

I think you are looking for split. man split will give you all the
gory details, but basically all you need to do is:

split --verbose -b 650m name_of_file_to_split

you do not need the `--verbose' if you don't want it. the `-b 650m'
tells split to divide the file into 650 meg files (as many as it
takes), and you can change the number to whatever you want. `m' stands
for megabytes.

by default, the output goes to files named xaa, xab, xac, ...

> Btw. is there a program that does something like backup a big chunk
> (home dir, hda) and automatically cuts it into pieces that fit on cd
> and can later restore the original in a place that I specify?

sorry, cannot help here.

One was to unsplit files is to use `cat'.

cat file1 file2 >> new_big_file

or

cat file2 >> file1

--
Chris Spackman
Thu Oct  3 21:00:47 JST 2002

******** random quote ********
   One day a student came to Moon and said, "I understand how to make
a better garbage collector.  We must keep a reference count of the
pointers to each cons."
   Moon patiently told the student the following story -- "One day a