On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, alann wrote:

> I was wondering "WHAT" file in Mandrake ( or RH for that matter )
> contains all the package descriptions
> that you get upon install.  In other words, when you install either you
> have the choice of making broad package installs
> or installing EVERY package manually.  When you do this you can hit F1
> on every package and see a "description" of what it
> does.

The descriptions are contained in the rpm packages.

>  This is got to be in a file SOMEWHERE.  Just wondering if anyone
> knows 'cause I would sure like to print it out
> and see whats on my system hidden

Two possibilities:

        rpm -qpi /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm |less

This will print the list for all RPMs on the CD.

        for i in `rpm -qa`; do rpm -qi $i; done |less

gives you a list of all the RPMs you installed.

If you want to print them to a printer instead of the screen, replace
"less" with "lpr".

LLaP
bero