On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:26:11 +0500 "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I have succeeded in downloading the Mdk 9.0 iso's and burning them to cd. :) I did
>the downloading and burning on a WinXP box, and used md5summer.exe to check the
>iso's. All seems to have gone OK.
>
> I've been using 8.2 for a while, but I would like to ask what is my best option to
>install 9.0: should I wipe out my 3 partitions and reinstall 9.0 fresh, or can I
>safely save my /home partition from 8.2 to be used in 9.0?
> I really don't have any valuable data, but it would be nice to save my preferences.
>I do want to do it the way that will insure the best install however.

Personally, I would back up /home to CD-R or whatever then install 9.0 from scratch by
reformatting all existing partitions. Unfortunately backwards compatibility of
initialisation files is far from perfect; Mozilla and OpenOffice.org seem to cause
particular difficulties.

Then, from the backup, you can put back configuration files (eg Mozilla bookmarks,
mail directories, and so on).

> Also, should I go with the "recommended" installation, or try the "expert" mode? I'm
>not too sure about trying anything that requires I be an "expert" just yet.;)

I would try recommended. Expert can pop up some rather obscure options, particularly
at the hardware detection stage.

> I want to install everything that is required to build rpms from source.....is that
>possible? If I choose to install the "development package", will that be close to
>getting me there?

Yes, as that installs the development libraries and similar. Missing it out means,
quite often, that you eventually have to load them one by one.

Alastair