The best bang for the buck, or pound in your case, would be the D-Link
10/100 Fast Ethernet model DFE-530TX pci.  I paid $46 dollars Canadian
for mine at London Drugs, a drug store computer department - go
figure.  It uses the via-rhine module driver, (and a Linux driver is
on the provided floppy, but needs to be compiled) but don't configure
it at installation.

After Linux is on your machine, use Linuxconf and the inside the
Network Configuration  goto adapter 1 (or which ever device it is on
your machine) at "kernel module" selection, type in "via-rhine" (no
quotes) and don't select any other.  Save, Quit, Activate and your
running.

D-link has a really good ISA as well, which I think you're looking
for, it would be the D-Link DE-220,  simple installation - use the
"ne" module  signify it's IRQ and its I/O and it works perfect.  I
think they run $29 CAN retail, if you can find them on the shelf as
most only stock 10/100 cards.  But you can find this card in a Network
Kit by D-Link.  Two DE-220's and a 5 port hub for about $169 CAN.

I think you may be able to get your present card going though if you
go here (I lost the string of emails to know which card you're using):

http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/

There's just about a configuration for every card available in there,
for Linux.

I hope that helps,
Sean
sj.Pritchard Technical Services
Vanderhoof, BC CAN

http://www.sjptech.com

On 9/13/99, 4:46:20 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
regarding Re: [newbie] Recommendations for network cards: