On Wednesday 09 October 2002 09:29 pm, you wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Besides my HP usb printer and scanner not working my sound does not work
> just yet. It worked finally in 8.2 with the OSS commercial driver and
> with Alsa eventually however, my purchased oss driver is not working on
> 9. Is there anyway I can get my sound to work on 9?
> It is the viachipset VT8233A onboard sound. Actually for a moment there
> was some sound coming from a midi player then it stopped. If I finally
> get my printer, scanner, and sound working well I will be a happy camper
> otherwise I may have to update my Windows and that would be depressing.
> I really have loved linux for 2 years but this is the most discouraged I
> have felt about using it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Marcia

Good Grief people.  Why are you upgrading to 9.0 when you have 8.2 and it
works (unless you really want to deal with a new distro's issues)?  New
releases always have problems (8.0 probably had the least of the new ones),
and IMO are really NOT for use on my primary machine.  In a month or two it
might be ready.   Mandrake tends to the cutting edge more than any other
commercial distro--Mandrake was first with supermount, first with JFS, first
to include CUPS, etc.  Being first means there will be issues with some
system configurations, because no amount of beta testing can substitute for
the myriad of hardware combinations found in general use.  And, if there are
complaints that Mandrake (or any Linux distro) doesn't work with some of the
newest hardware--well, Linux users need to choose their hardware carefully,
and that often means the latest and greatest shouldn't be installed in
essential machines.  As a rule, one generation back will work (and work
extremely well), and will be a heck of a lot less expensive, too.
What I'm trying to say is that the problems that are showing up will be
solved, but maybe not this week, or even this month.  Most appear to be
hardware related, or bugs that are related to hardware configuration in
particular machines.  Don't be naiive and think that your system is immune to
a new distro's problems because the last distro worked.  If you only have
one computer, my advice is to wait and see what transpires before rushing to
install anything that is newly released.

I installed a quadruple boot system on a laptop (gateway 450sx) at work
yesterday--DOS/W3.11, W98, W2K and Mdk8.2.  Mandrake is the only one that
booted up with everything working (except the AMR modem, but that will never
work with linux).  W2K required 40 minutes of installing drivers after the
initial installation, and of course the crummy winmodem worked.  W98 took a
couple of hours downloading, installing drivers and configuring (and crashing
repeatedly during driver installation).  DOS drivers aren't available for
most of the gateway's hardware.  I've done similar installs many times, and
IMO 8.2 is a winner of an OS.  I ain't ready to try that with 9.0.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I feel the need to rant about this.

e.