> Good Grief people.  Why are you upgrading to 9.0 when you have 8.2 and it
> works (unless you really want to deal with a new distro's issues)?  New
> releases always have problems (8.0 probably had the least of the new ones),
> and IMO are really NOT for use on my primary machine.  In a month or two it
> might be ready. Mandrake tends to the cutting edge more than any other
> commercial distro--Mandrake was first with supermount, first with JFS, first
> to include CUPS, etc... Don't be naiive and think that your system is
> immune to > a new distro's problems because the last distro worked.  If
> you only have one computer, my advice is to wait and see what transpires
> before rushing to install anything that is newly released.

I think you underestimate Mandrake and their ability to learn from
past errors. While it's true that earlier releases initially had
problems, 9.0 has undergone very extensive testing, including three
betas, and two or three RCs. And instead of pushing to release bugware
on the initial release date of Sept. 13, they chose to put it off
until they could hammer out as many bugs as possible. And since it's
release a couple weeks ago, how many updates have been made available?
I've seen two, maybe three.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure not everything is perfect. But I'm
perfectly confident that installing 9.0 on a primary machine is not
the Armageddon you describe.

Miark