Good news about Turbo print working :-)
I have never needed to use it myself because my printer is not supported :-(

I do rather agree with your rant. My own printer is an HPDesket 720C which
without my knowing when I bought it,  is a 'winprinter' in that it requires
the PC to directly manage the print heads. There are 'free' drivers which
work OK for text, but are pretty awful for graphics, and there is absolutely
nothing I can do about it apart from buy a new printer. (I will do that when
the ink runs out, as a printer does not cost much more than a couple of ink
cartridges)

To be fair to HP they have seen the error of their ways, and no longer make
'winprinters' and now sponsor an opensource project for Linux drivers for
their current and future printers.Since so many people come to Linux with a
printer already in their posession it is really a matter of chance how well
it is going to work.  For anyone looking for a new printer I would suggest
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ as a first stop. The site is run by Til
Klamppeter (spelling?) who is a Mandrake employee, so Mandrake have a better
than average chance of getting printer drivers right.

derek

SNIP