On Sunday 13 Oct 2002 2:00 pm, Rulon Holm wrote:
> I can't get samba to work ever since enabled internet connection sharing.
> I have a modem that connects to the internet. the other computer computer
> is running WindowsXP.
> Could someone help me.  THx

Firstly, I am NO expert on networking stuff!  Hell, it took me 5 days to get
ICS, Samba, NFS and a decent firewall working correctly.  Heh, when I
finally did get everything going I quickly backed up the /etc dir!

If you're using MDK9.0 then I think its something to do with shorewall
(firewall).  Enabling ICS installs shorewall.  I read numerous accounts of
people with network problems in MDK9.0.

I have only a small lan (2 PCs) and connect to the net via dialup modem.

I fiddled with so many config files that I don't know what I actually did
(if anything) to fix it.  Couldn't figure out how to configure shorewall
(even after reading the docs ; ) and belive me, I tried) so I downloaded
and installed guarddog and used that to allow services for my lan.

Trouble is, shorewall had setup iptables and I think guarddog just adds to
what is already running in iptables so effectively I have both shorewall
and guarddog running.  If I stop both and start either one, there's always
something that won't work so I guess I haven't configured guarddog properly
yet.

Once you have configured everything you could try stopping all relative
services (ie. smb, named, dhcpd, shorewall, portmap, nfs, nfslock, etc) and
take the network down (ifdown ethX), then restart them.  In which case, I'd
first start the firewall then bring the network back up (ifup ethX).  Then
start named, dhcpd, etc.

One thing I noticed was that either dhcp or shorewall (can't remember which)
was working with the wrong network address.  My network is 192.168.0.0 but
one of them kept using 192.168.1.0.

Oh, and another thing I read somewhere at MandrakeForum is that it is
IMPERATIVE to configure your network BEFORE enabling ICS otherwise you run
into problems.  So I reinstalled and configured the network (as usual)
during installation and once the system was running I added the IP address
for PC#2 in /etc/hosts and enabled ICS - WROOOONGG!  It seems that
configuring your network during installation isn't enough and that you must
use MCC > Network & Internet > Connection and then enable ICS via MCC >
Network & Internet > Connection Sharing.  AND I had to use "manual
configuration" and "expert" NOT "auto configuration".  AND I found that
adding my ISPs first DNS Server address in there worked.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I had big hassles getting it sorted and got
rather confused in the process.  If this isn't your problem, I'm sorry for
wasting bandwith.  Hopefully it might help someone.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today