On Thursday 24 Oct 2002 4:52 pm, Rainer wrote:
> after using mdk 8.2 for almost 8 months, i still seem to be unable to get
> the x server and my nvidia card to coexist peacefully. it took me a
> couple of months to get it to be relatively stable after the first
> install. i got the glx and kernel rpms at that time and i believe i had
> to reinstall the kernel drivers from tar.gz. my news readers still froze
> after this (pan, mozilla, knode) but the rest seemed alright. recently, i
> had to reinstall mdk 8.2. i got the latest drivers and my x server won't
> start at all. checked all the documentation i could find, nvidia readme,
> mandrake user nvidia section and i'm still at a loss, the config-4 file
> was fine.
>
> after spending about 10 hours on this the easiest thing to do seems to be
> to reinstall. but i don't want to go through that again unless i have a
> pretty good idea about what the problem is, and a relatively straight
> forward solution (this is a newbie speaking!) does 9.0 deal better with
> the nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400? i installed red hat 8.0 and the graphics
> are rock solid so far. i would like to continue with mandrake because
> i've spent some time with it and know it better but not at the expense of
> a monitor that freezes regularly. i'd appreciate an honest answer, i know
> how these distribution biases color peoples judgement. thanks

Firstly, I apologise for the long message.

<rant>
Well... today I have just spent from 7.15am to 6.45pm (minus 1/2 hour lunch
break) trying to get the nvidia drivers working in 9.0 AND STILL NO GO!
Didn't have a problem in 8.1.  I have been trying to get the drivers
working on and off for weeks!  I ended up installing RH7.3 (dual boot) just
so I can play Quake3 and UT2003.

I've tried (and retried each many times), the club rpms, source rpms and the
tarballs.  I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I'm using the
enterprise kernel (1024 MB RAM).  I did get the club enterprise rpm with
urpmi.

After installing the drivers (and editing XF86Config-4) I can start FluxBox,
BlackBox, Enlightenment, etc but I can't start Gnome or KDE (I use KDE).
I get the following error when trying to start KDE as root or user:
<msg>
There was an error setting up inter-process
communications for KDE.  Tthe message returned
by the system was:

Could not read network connection list:
/home/sharrea/.DCOPserver_tbird.tux.nz__0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
</msg>

Then the system takes forever to try to recover when I CTRL+ALT+Backspace
but it usually ends up hanging and I use the ALT+SysRq combinations to end
process, sync and reboot.

Also the KDE apps like kedit, kmail, etc won't run in the other WMs but I
can play tuxracer and UT2003.

I checked (many times) that the libglx*, libGL.so* and libGLcore* files are
installed correctly.  I tried all the different options for "NvAGP" and
added all sorts of things to /etc/modules.conf.  One thing I noticed is
that I only have nvidia0 and nvidiactl in the /dev dir (I don't get
nvidia1, nvidia2 or nvidia3, etc).  And another thing I noticed is that
stopping the devfsd service on boot and editing /etc/lilo.conf to
devfs=nomount (+ running /sbin/lilo afterwards) then rebooting doesn't stop
devfsd from starting at boot!  I've been searching all over the net for
answers and trying suggestions given to others with a similar problem but
like I said, no go.

Anyway I've rebooted and shutdown about 30-40 times today and I've just
about had enough so I think I'll just give up on the nvidia drivers for
9.0.  Guess I'll just have to use RH  : (
</rant>

OK, having said all that, many others have got the nvidia drivers working in
9.0 without a hitch.  Oh, I'm sooooo envious.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today