On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Sharrea wrote:

> On Thursday 24 Oct 2002 4:52 pm, Rainer wrote:
>> after using mdk 8.2 for almost 8 months, i still seem to be unable to get
>> the x server and my nvidia card to coexist peacefully. it took me a
>> couple of months to get it to be relatively stable after the first
>> install. i got the glx and kernel rpms at that time and i believe i had
>> to reinstall the kernel drivers from tar.gz. my news readers still froze
>> after this (pan, mozilla, knode) but the rest seemed alright. recently, i
>> had to reinstall mdk 8.2. i got the latest drivers and my x server won't
>> start at all. checked all the documentation i could find, nvidia readme,
>> mandrake user nvidia section and i'm still at a loss, the config-4 file
>> was fine.
>>
>> after spending about 10 hours on this the easiest thing to do seems to be
>> to reinstall. but i don't want to go through that again unless i have a
>> pretty good idea about what the problem is, and a relatively straight
>> forward solution (this is a newbie speaking!) does 9.0 deal better with
>> the nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400? i installed red hat 8.0 and the graphics
>> are rock solid so far. i would like to continue with mandrake because
>> i've spent some time with it and know it better but not at the expense of
>> a monitor that freezes regularly. i'd appreciate an honest answer, i know
>> how these distribution biases color peoples judgement. thanks
>
> Firstly, I apologise for the long message.
>
> <rant>
> Well... today I have just spent from 7.15am to 6.45pm (minus 1/2 hour lunch
> break) trying to get the nvidia drivers working in 9.0 AND STILL NO GO!
> Didn't have a problem in 8.1.  I have been trying to get the drivers
> working on and off for weeks!  I ended up installing RH7.3 (dual boot) just
> so I can play Quake3 and UT2003.
>
> I've tried (and retried each many times), the club rpms, source rpms and the
> tarballs.  I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I'm using the
> enterprise kernel (1024 MB RAM).  I did get the club enterprise rpm with
> urpmi.
>
> After installing the drivers (and editing XF86Config-4) I can start FluxBox,
> BlackBox, Enlightenment, etc but I can't start Gnome or KDE (I use KDE).
> I get the following error when trying to start KDE as root or user:
> <msg>
> There was an error setting up inter-process
> communications for KDE.  Tthe message returned
> by the system was:
>
> Could not read network connection list:
> /home/sharrea/.DCOPserver_tbird.tux.nz__0
>
> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
> </msg>
>
> Then the system takes forever to try to recover when I CTRL+ALT+Backspace
> but it usually ends up hanging and I use the ALT+SysRq combinations to end
> process, sync and reboot.
>
> Also the KDE apps like kedit, kmail, etc won't run in the other WMs but I
> can play tuxracer and UT2003.

> [...]

  I've had devfsd problems before, so anymore I just don't install it.
I don't know if uninstalling it will have the same benefit, but it's worth
a shot.  Also, you've probably already been through this, but if you're
using the nvidia 3123 drivers instead of 2960, that's likely your problem
right there.  The newer drivers screwed my and apparently some others'
screens up good.

Dale Huckeby