Thanks bascule, but I already did remove ~/.DCOP* and /tmp/* (countless
times) but that made no difference.  Also removed ~/.ICEauthority ~/.mcoprc
~/.mcop/ - also didn't help.  Obviously, one of the files that Gnome and
KDE use is getting stuffed up.  Thanks for the reply tho.

Ah well...
Sharrea

On Thursday 24 Oct 2002 8:37 pm, bascule wrote:
> that error is not an nvidia error,
> i could be wrong but open a console and delete the following
> ~/.DCOP*
> yo should find that kde now starts, at least that what i have done when i
> had that error, i also emptied /tmp but i don't think that is necessary
>
> bascule
>
> On Thursday 24 Oct 2002 7:57 am, Sharrea wrote:
<snip>
> > I get the following error when trying to start KDE as root or user:
> > <msg>
> > There was an error setting up inter-process
> > communications for KDE.  Tthe message returned
> > by the system was:
> >
> > Could not read network connection list:
> > /home/sharrea/.DCOPserver_tbird.tux.nz__0
> >
> > Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
> > </msg>
> >
> > Then the system takes forever to try to recover when I
> > CTRL+ALT+Backspace but it usually ends up hanging and I use the
> > ALT+SysRq combinations to end process, sync and reboot.
> >
> > Also the KDE apps like kedit, kmail, etc won't run in the other WMs but
> > I can play tuxracer and UT2003.
<snip>

--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today