Spencer wrote:

On October 26, 2002 03:37 pm, Nick Adams wrote:

Nick Adams wrote:

Spencer wrote:

On October 26, 2002 08:36 am, Jimmy Montague wrote:

Hi, Everybody:

I downloaded the isos and burned them onto 3 CDs.
I booted from CD1 and ran the install per directions.
It's slick until comes time to configure the video/Xwindows
environment. There I hit a stump. I've installed 4 times, now, and
still can't get it right.

System is:

FIC VA503+ mobo
AMD K6-2/350 processor
256 mb Crucial RAM
2 Maxtor 13 gb hdds
1 generic 50x CD-ROM
1 fdd
Creative Ensoniqe sound
ATI 3D Rage Pro vid card with 8 mb RAM
Compaq V50 monitor
IBM model M keyboard (101 key, US English)
Logitech MouseMan PS2

Problem is that during the install, Xconfigurator sees the vid card as
an ATI Mach 64 with a Utah chipset. Default config is 16 million 24-bit
color, 800x600 res.

If I accept that and run a test, the screen goes black for about 30
seconds and then comes back on. If I then tell it to load X at boot-up,
what happens is that the system reboots and looks good until it loads
X. Then the screen goes black and stays that way forever.

So I reinstall. Tell Xconfigurator that the vid card is really an ATI
Rage Pro 3D. Then, no matter what config I set up (65k colors @ 16-bit,
for example) the system returns an error when I test it.

The error is: "You must specify a keyboard in XF86Config try to change
some parameters." (sic)

So I boot to the command line as root. Issue a command xf86config. Run
through all of THAT. At the end, it tells me it's going to save the
configuration, and then it saves. When I tell it "startx", I get
execve failed for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory

After install no. 4, I'm whipped.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

Nick

Mach 64 Utah drivers are correct. I use the same card along with
Xfree 4.2.1. It may be choking on your monitor. Try using generic
settings. I am using 1024x768 @ 70 and 800x600 at 24 as final. Works
perfect

Spence

Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft? Go to
http://www.mandrakestore.com

Spencer:

You use Xfree 4.2.1 on a generic monitor -- but do you set Xfree to 3d
or 2d?

Nick

Spencer:

Been there. Done that. Three times now.

Same result. It doesn't work.

More suggestions, anyone?

Thanks
Nick

Nick
Try to get to runlevel 3. If you can get in as root, try running /usr/sbin/ddxinfos. This will give you the EISA ID of your monitor and may help you debug this thing.

Spence

I fixed the problem, Spencer. What I did was change the vid card. Took out the ATI 3D Rage Pro. Put in a Hercules Terminator 128 3D. System installed perfectly and now works like a champ.

New Problem:

I have sound as both root and as user, but can't play music CDs.

How do I mount a CD drive and then get the OS to call CD Player when I load in a disk?

Jimmy